About Me

My photo
23, Theology major, female. Prone to random bouts of randomness. This is my main 100% public blog.

Add to...

Add to Google Catholic Homepage Add to My Yahoo! Any buttons not here that you want? Post a comment and I'll see what I can do. =-)

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Put up or shut up, and other ramblings.

So between the Letter to the Editor in the most recent edition of my campus paper and a question my friend, "Sister" Allie, asked of a finalist for our college president, various LJs of my friends and I are hopping with discussions as to whether or not Aquinas is a Catholic college. Even a friend of mine, a Protestant who has many Catholic friends, sees AQ slipping further and further away from any vestiges of Catholicism.

So a thought just occurred to me. I am not a prophet and I would be scared pee-less if God made me one (unless I got to be one of the cool ones, like Elijah, Elisha, or Ezekiel,) but I was thinking about the rumors flying around about a Universal Indult{sp?} from the Holy Father. I think Christmas or any of the other Holy Days in this season would be prime time for such a document to be made public. Were the Holy Father to go so far as to totally toss out the Novus Ordo, I think that might be enough for AQ to officially break away from the Church. It would be almost impossible to celebrate a Tridentine Rite Mass in our current chapel. (To give an idea of the building, it was originally a stable for horses, and then it was a gymnasium.)

I just wish Bishop Hurley had spine enough to smack the administration here around. The Knights here are planning on appealing to him regarding the school refusing the recognize the Knights of Columbus (while recognizing and funding The Alliance....yeah, the campus is that messed up...) See, the Knights are a horrible organization by AQ standards because they don't admit women or non-Catholics. I'm good friends with the Grand Knight here, though, and one of my friends and I were thinking if we started a Ladies Axillary here (more commonly known as Catholic Daughters of the Americas. An older name is the Daughters of Isabella.) We're hoping that having that group in conjunction with the Knights might appease Senate and co. I was talking with the GK the other night and we were venting on the irony that blatantly anti-Catholic groups can exist on campus but one of the largest Catholic fraternal organizations out there can't. They can't even put the school name in their name, but a student stands for hours at a protest holding a sign that says "Aquinas Students for Choice" and that's OK. This college has been on an overall downward spiral the whole time I've been here, and I think the downward slope has gotten steeper this school year.

Where's my appetite lately? I haven't eaten jack and I'm not hungry at all. No wonder I look like I'm losing weight...(of course, anything positive said about my appearance only applies here; at home, you'd think I'm the Creature from the Black Lagoon for the comments made. Good thing I stopped caring a long time ago about THAT.)

I'm just glad the Theology department here is still orthodox. Still, though, I think they realize they're fighting an uphill battle.

Didn't post this on Live Journal because a) I think I've said my piece there. and b) I have hyper-sensitive friends who go ape if you criticize the Catholicism of Aquinas in the least little way. Overall, I'd say IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A CATHOLIC COLLEGE THAT IS ACTUALLY CATHOLIC, AQUINAS COLLEGE IS NOT FOR YOU!!! (Wish I knew a way to get Google to pick that up in a search on the school...)

Anyway...I should be studying 日本語. It's my first exam of finals week. Blah....and this is the first school year where I have no Theology classes! Sadness!!!

God bless you and Mary keep you! ^_^

No comments: